Selenium is an open source web test automation tool used for automating web based application tests. It has several components:
- Selenium IDE(a Firefox plug-in used for recording and playing back test application)
- Selenium RC (Selenium Server to launch and interact with web browsers)
- Selenium Client Driver (Selenium API, which can be used with many languages)
- Selenium Grid (Selenium Hub to launch multiple tests at the same time)
- Selenium WebDriverBackedSelenium (used to run Selenium RC applications with Selenium Web Driver
- Hooks with many other languages: Java, .Net, Ruby, Python
- Can simulate a user navigation through pages and web elements
- Verifies and asserts information on the web page
- Actual script is HTML based, so easy to learn and use it right away
- Can create a test suite that includes multiple test cases
- Can run the test suite with Selenium IDE or Selenium command line
- Selenium API can support multiple browsers, so application browser compatibility can be tested easily.
- Selenium IDE contains rich commands to use when recording and playing back test applications.
- Selenium mobile device api can test mobile application.